2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child.
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God sends his greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Saviour. John 1:14 “we beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father”
Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows the glory of God…. (details)
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about Palm Sunday. Read pages 406-412 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!” Matthew 21: 9b
- Palm Leaf # 1: Cut of the general palm leaf shape before the lesson. During the lesson, have the children cut the "fringes" of the leaves like the would cut out a snowflake. Unfold the construction paper to see your finished palm leaf. Make enough palm leaves that each child can have two. Cut out enough palm leaves for all the children. Tape a green pipe cleaner as a stem.
- Palm Leaf # 2: Print out the template of choice. (you need the leaf template and can optionally print one of the message templates as well) Spread a thin layer of glue all over the leaf template. It's very important to get full coverage so you may want to use a paint brush or Q-tip to spread the glue. Put scraps of green paper all over to completely cover the leaf. Let dry. While the leaf is drying, cut out and color the optional message template or use glitter glue to fill in the letters if you preferCut out the leaf (you should be able to still see enough of the lines of the leaf to do the cutting)Glue the leaf to a background piece of black construction paper. Glue or tape the message template to the bottom of the black construction paper.
- Donkey Crafts – please see lesson plan on Good Neighbor (Unit 2 -11)
- Palm Sunday Song (sung to the tune of Frere Jacque)... sing this song with the children and let them wave their palm branches!
Let's Praise Him, Let's Praise Him
Wave our branches and sing
Hosanna to the king
Let's praise Jesus, Let's Praise Jesus
8) Closing Prayer... say the Lord's prayer together with the children.
9) Going Home: Round up all the children around the table or sit in a circle again. Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages:
Jesus on the donkey: http://www.sermons4kids.com/palm-sunday-colorpg.htm