- if you have play dishes and food in your room these are perfect for today (if not, see if you can bring some in for the day...) Let the children set the table with all their favorite things to eat!
3) Prayer... Thank God for the Lord's Supper which reminds us of Jesus' great gift to us.
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God sends his greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Saviour. John 1:14 “we beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father”
Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows the glory of God when Jesus instructs his people to remember his great sacrifice through the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. Remind the children of their own experiences witnessing the Lord’s Supper in church.
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about the Last Supper where Christ institutes the Lord’s Supper with his disciples with instructions to do this in remembrance. Read pages 420- 429 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “Do this in remembrance of Me.” Luke 22:19b
- Sponge Painting… provide the children with red/purple paint for the wine and brown/white for the bread and let them paint with sponges (clip clothespins on one side to keep little fingers out of the paint. Before the painting, you may want to have them color the cup with markers or metallic colored crayons.
- Bread Book… provide each child with six “slices” of bread. Color the picture on each and put them in order. Staple twice on one side to make a book about the Lord’s Supper. (sorry, this template is no longer on line... I'm working to make my own version for you to copy!)
- Bread and Wine... use simple templates or draw your own glass and loaf of bread. Use torn paper in various shades of brown to fill in the loaf of bread, and crumbled tissue paper in red/purple to fill in the wine glass. Glue the text to the bottom - a simple craft that the children really enjoy doing!
8) Closing Prayer... say the Lord's prayer together with the children
9) Going Home: Round up all the children around the table or sit in a circle again. Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages:
The last supper: http://www.calvarywilliamsport.com/e2.htm
The last supper: http://www.sermons4kids.com/last-supper-colorpg.htm
slice of bread template for making your own book about the Lord's Supper: http://www.eduplace.com/rdg/hme/k_5/shapebook/pdf/breadwol.pdf
or mini loaves: http://www.dltk-holidays.com/p.asp?b=m&p=http://www.dltk-holidays.com/easter/images/bloaves.gif
Jesus is the bread of Life: http://www.coloring.ws/t.asp?b=m&t=http://www.coloring.ws/bible/jesus/breadoflife.gif