2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child. Try this song today:
The Prodigal Son (Tune: Little Rabbit in the Woods)
Once a father had two sons
Then one left home to have some fun
The son wasted all he had
Then things got real sad
Feed me! Feed me!The pigs all said.
The young son thought,
This is really bad.
I'll go home say sorry
And dad's servant I'll be.
Oh, the father was so sad
Missed his young son oh so bad
Saw his son a far off
And he ran out the door
Welcome! Welcome! the father said
Come back home and I'll be your dad.
Come my son, come on in
Please don't leave again.
The oldest brother had stayed home
Did what he should and he was bummed
The father killed a fatted cow
Why did he do this now?
I stayed! I stayed! the old son said.
A feast for me you've never had!
My son was lost but now he's found
So let's let love abound.
3) Prayer... pray for forgiving hearts
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God sends his greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Saviour. John 1:14 “we beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father”
Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows the glory of God in forgiveness. Just like the father in the parable, God forgives us when we recognize our sin and repent in faith.
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about the parable of the two sons. Read pages 380-381 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.” Luke 15: 24a
- Paper Bag Pig: see http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/puppets/paperbag/
- Lots of Shapes Pigs: This pig is a simple craft for little ones. The kids can color the piece, or you could print them on pink paper and have the kids assemble them. http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/mepig.html
- Paper Plate Pigs: See http://www.busybeekidscrafts.com/Paper-Plate-Pig.html for directions and photos. You need: a large paper plate. a small paper plate, pink construction paper, large googly eyes and pink pipe cleaners. I recommend painting the plates before the lesson and cutting out all the pieces, then having the kids assemble the pigs during the lesson.
9) Going Home: Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages: