2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child.
3) Prayer... pray for all faithful missionaries working around the world today. Mention in specific those who are local or whom you support.
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God sends his greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Savior. John 1:14 “we beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father”
Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows the glory of God in using sinful men to spread the good news of Jesus Christ, our Savior.
5) Bible Story:
Today’s Story is about Paul's missionary journeys. Read pages 476-483 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “So the churches were strengthened in faith and grew daily in numbers” Acts 16:5
- Plastic Lid Boat... Supplies: A wide plastic lid ( like the lid from a margarine tub)A drinking strawConstruction paper, Kids scissors, A hole punch, Crayons/markers or stickers, A small ball of plasticine (note: playdough will work, but will go soggy in water!) 1. Cut a triangle from a piece of construction paper; this will be your sail. Decorate the sail with crayons, markers , and/or stickers 2. Punch three holes along one side of the triangle ( the tallest side) 3. Weave a staw ( the boats mast) through the holes. 4. Put a small ball of plasticine on the inside of the lid. Push the end of the drinking straw into the plasticine. You now have a cute little toy sailboat that can float in the water.
- Styrofoam Cup Boat... you can make the same type of boat with a styrofoam cup instead. Before the lesson, cut the cups down to about 1/2 their height. Otherwise, do everything the same as above.
- When your boats are complete, use them to sing this song!
Paul was sailing upon the sea, Hallelujah; Paul was sailing upon the sea, Hallelujah
The wind and the rain blew the boat, Hallelujah; The wind and the rain blew the boat, Hallelujah
Paul and his friends jumped in the sea, Hallelujah; Paul and his friends jumped in the sea, Hallelujah
Paul and his friends swam to shore, Hallelujah; Paul and his friends swam to shore, Hallelujah
God saved them from the storm, Hallelujah; God saved them from the storm, Hallelujah
God is watching over us, Hallelujah; God is watching over us, Hallelujah
8) Closing Prayer... say the Lord's prayer together with the children
9) Going Home: Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages:
Paul is shipwrecked: http://www.calvarywilliamsport.com/5a128.htm
There are several coloring pages from the life of Paul here: http://children.calvarychapel.com/site/curriculum_n.htm