2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child.
3) Prayer... pray for wisdom to do what is right in God's eyes.
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God works among his covenant people to prepare the world for the Savior. Hebrews 12:1&2 “Therefore, since we are surrounded
by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us… look to Jesus.” Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows how God works through Solomon. God told Solomon to ask for whatever he wanted and Solomon asked for wisdom. God made him wiser than anyone who had ever lived and used Solomon’s wisdom to bless the people of Israel.
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about Solomon. Read pages 168-173 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: Solomon prayed to God, “Give thy servant therefore an
understanding mind to govern thy people, that I may discern between good and evil.” I Kings 3:9a
- Wisdom scroll… Before the lesson, print out a selection of Solomon’s proverbs on a sheet of paper. Copy for each child. Trim the pages so that they are just slightly shorter than the length of a new pencil. At craft time, have the children wrinkle their pages gentle and dip them in a strong tea solution to make them look old. Set them out to dry (you may use a hair dryer to speed the process. When dry, tape each end securely around a new unsharpened pencil and have the children roll the two ends around the pencils until they meet in the middle. Now they have their own ancient scroll of wisdom!
- Walking in God's Ways... use washable poster paint to paint each child's foot on a large paper plate or a sheet of heavier poster paper. Print along the top: Let us walk in the ways of the Lord. If you use a paper plate, you can loop a string around the top so that it can be hung!
9) Going Home: Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
(10) Optional Coloring Pages