2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child.
Here is a nice little song (with music) about Elijah that you could sing today:
See other song selections under "craft" section. These are nice to sing AFTER you have made the craft in order to clarify the connection between the raven and Elijah.
3) Prayer... thank God for providing for us, especially in our times of trouble
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God works among his covenant people to prepare the world for the Savior. Hebrews 12:1&2 “Therefore, since we are surrounded
by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us… look to Jesus.” Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows how God works through the prophet Elijah. Elijah was a regular man who made mistakes, who was afraid sometimes, yet when it really mattered he trusted God. Elijah did amazing things with God's help and God did amazing things for Elijah and always took care of him.
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about Elijah. Read pages 176-179 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “I have ordered the ravens to feed you.” 1 Kings 17:4
- Handprint Ravens: Print out and photocopy template (prior to lesson) see: http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/mhandprintcrow.htm. Have the children color the template pieces. Cut out the template pieces. Trace the child's hands on another piece of paper and cut out (two handprints) -- black construction paper works well. Glue the raven together: glue the head (circle) to the body (upside down teardrop shape); glue the face onto the head; glue the tuft of feathers to the top of the head; glue the tail to the back of the body; glue the feet onto the bottom of the body; glue the handprint wings on the back of the body; glue the flower on a wing or beside the neck. To save some time, you should have the body and the head cut out of black construction paper prior to the lesson.
Materials needed: template, black construction paper, crayons, scissors, glue
- Picture of Raven with Food: Photocopy picture of raven and hand. Have children color the picture. Glue cheerios or popcorn or some sort of food into the raven’s mouth and the hand. Materials: template, crayons, cheerios or popcorn I like this picture here: http://www.daniellesplace.com/Images15/elijahbirdactivitysheet.gif
- Raven puppet: see http://www.experiencemission.org/uploads/Lesson_8_Elijah.pdf
- Raven "clothes pins": see http://www.calvarychapelutahvalley.com/images/stories/library/childrensministry/OldTestament/07Prophets/01Prophets_God%20Provides4Elijah.pdf
- Here is another song to sing: "God will Take Care of You"
Be not dismayed whate’er betide,God will take care of you;Beneath His wings of love abide,God will take care of you.
Refrain:God will take care of you,Through every day, o’er all the way;He will take care of you,God will take care of you.
Through days of toil when heart doth fail,God will take care of you;When dangers fierce your path assail,God will take care of you. Refrain
All you may need He will provide,God will take care of you;Nothing you ask will be denied,God will take care of you. Refrain
No matter what may be the test,God will take care of you;Lean, weary one, upon His breast,God will take care of you. Refrain
- or you can sing this one: "Elijah was a Prophet of God"
(Tune: Zacchaeus was a Wee Little Man)
Elijah was a prophet of God; a prophet of God was he.
He told King Ahab it would not rain, no, no more rain he’d see.
And then he ran to hide away, with the birds and bees.
And God said, “Ravens, you take care of him.
For I have something for him to do, for I have something for him to do.”
9) Going Home: Round up all the children around the table or sit in a circle again. Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages:
Elijah fed by ravens: http://www.calvarywilliamsport.com/5a99.htm
Elijah fed by ravens: http://www.calvarywilliamsport.com/5a163.html
A whole selection from Elijah's life: http://www.coloring.ws/elijah.htm