2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child.
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God sends his greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Saviour. John 1:14 “we beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father”
Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows the glory of God in speading the good news of the gospel. Jesus called 12 men to be witnesses to all the works and miracle he did. He taught them about the way of salvation!
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about the Calling of the Disciples, the "Twelve Men". Read pages 280-283 (R285-288) from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Matthew 4:19
- I will make you Fishers of Men, if you Follow Me
You'll need:Colored Poster Board,One Egg Carton for each Child,Fish Crackers,Gummy Worms,Stapler,Crayons,Glue,Scissors
Directions:Give each child an egg carton. Glue a piece of colorful poster board to the top of the egg carton and print the title and text on it to make it more colorful. Fill the carton with the fish crackers. You can also try a piece of yarn to the end of a popsicle stick and tie a gummy worm to the other end to make a “fishing pole”. So fun for the children to play with now, while they sing the song, and when they get home!
- Fishing- copy the boat picture (one for each child) and cut along the waves with an exacto knife before the class. Glue the whole sheet of paper onto a sheet of paper with a bead of glue along the outside edge. Then, give to the children to color. Cut out little fish from fancy/colorful heavy-stock paper and punch a hole at one end of each fish. Tie a string on each fish and make a loop on the other end. Give each child a popsicle stick for a fishing rod. They can “catch” the fish from the water by looping them around the popsicle stick and pulling them from behind the waves!
- I caught a Fish! Print out a large picture of a fish and allow the children to color them (or if you have time, paint with bright colors). Cut out the fish. Punch a hole in one end and tie a string on it (you may want to reinforce with a piece of masking tape at the back first) and tie the other end of string to a disposable chopstick for a fishing rod.
- The 12 Disciples – to the tune of "Jesus Loves Me"
Jesus called them one by one, Peter, Andrew, James and John,
Next, came Philip, Thomas too, Matthew and Bartholomew.
Chorus-Yes, Jesus called them,Yes, Jesus called them,
Yes, Jesus called them,He called them one by one.
James the one they called the less, Simon, also Thaddeus,
Twelfth apostle Judas made, Jesus was by him betrayed.
(Repeat Chorus. )
Matthias then took Judas' place, To preach to men of every race,
Paul three preaching trips did make, And went to Rome for Jesus' sake.
8) Closing Prayer... say the Lord's prayer together with the children
9) Going Home: Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages: