2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child.
3) Prayer... give glory to God who is in heaven.
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God sends his greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Saviour. John 1:14 “we beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father”
Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows the glory of God as Jesus rose up into heaven to sit at his Father’s right hand.
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about the ascension of Jesus into heaven after he rose from the dead. Read pages 447-451 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “He was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.” Acts 1: 9
- A cloud hid him from their sight… Use the picture of Jesus ascending and have the children color the picture. Cut out a large cloud shape from construction paper and attach it with a brad and have the children glue some cotton on the cloud . That way you can really move the cloud to "hide" Jesus from their sight.
Cloud "hiding" Jesus
8) Closing Prayer... say the Lord's Prayer together with the children
9) Going Home: . Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages:
Jesus ascending while disciples watch: http://www.bible-printables.com/Coloring-Pages/Easter/10-easter-019.htm