2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child.
3) Prayer... thank God for our daily food and drink.
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God sends his greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Saviour. John 1:14 “we beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father”
Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows the glory of God through the miracle of feeding the crowds with bread and fish. God can take care of us so completely, even when we think it is impossible!
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about Jesus feeding the crowds with bread and fish. Read pages 340-345 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “Taking the 5 loaves and 2 fish and looking up to heaven,
Jesus gave thanks…” Mark 6:41a
- The Fish that Fed Five Thousand
You'll need:Colored Paper Plates,Poster Board,Colored Construction Paper,Crayons,Scissors,Glue
Directions:Before the lesson, cut out a selection of heads, fins, and tails from construction paper. During the lesson, have the children glue the head, fins, and tail to the back of the paper plate. Have the children draw an eye and mouth on the fish. Fish can be decorated with foam shapes or simple shape stickers if you like.
- CD Fish: You need: 1 old CD per child (you can pick these up cheap from recycle shops)
Template of fins and tail, google eyes, glitter. Cut out tail and fins from constuction paper before the lesson. During the lesson, allow the children to use clear tape to stick the tail and fins onto disks. Glue on eyes or draw on with permanent marker. Children add glitter. Suspend from the ceiling for beautiful shimmering rainbow fish!
- Rainbow Fish: You need: heavy construction paper, tissue paper in several colors, glue, scissors Before class: cut out a fish shape from the inside of each piece of construction paper. Cut the tissue paper into 1-2 inch wide strips as long as the construction paper.
In class: have the children put glue all around the fish shapes (having the children "paint" on white glue with a paint brush is the best here as glue stick glue dries too quickly. Lay strips of tissue paper over the fish cut-out until the entire space is filled. Trim the ends of the tissue paper so that none extend past the edges of the construction paper. Turn the paper over and see your colorful fish! Put the text along the bottom of the page.
- Great activity idea here: http://www.sundayschoolkids.com/activities-nt/1-nt-feeding5000-1instru.htm
9)Going Home: Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages
Jesus and boy with bread and fish: http://www.sermons4kids.com/feed_5000_colorpg.htm]
Bread and fish in a basket: http://www.sundayschoolresources.com/coloringpaget7.htm