2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song (go around the circle or table and introduce each child) and our Story Hour Theme song.
Learning our names song:
(sing to the tune of “The More we get together”
Thank you God for (name)
For (name), for (name)
Thank you God for (name)
We’re glad (s) he is here!
3) Opening Prayer... ask God to give us the strength and courage to face the challenges He sets before us, too.
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God works among his covenant people to prepare the world for the Savior. Hebrews 12:1&2 “Therefore, since we are surrounded
by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us… look to Jesus.” Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows how God works through Joshua. God tells Joshua time and time again to “Be strong and courageous” because God was going to use him to bring his people Israel into the promised land!
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about Joshua. Read pages 116-125 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “Be strong and courageous” Joshua 1:7a
- Trumpet: You can blow this horn just like Joshua did at the walls of Jericho. http://www.makingfriends.com/biblecrafts/shofar.htm for a picture. Decorate a large piece of brown kraft paper with stamped or painted designs (the kids can colour using markers, crayons etc too). Apply glue to the back of the brown paper after decorating, and then wrap it while still wet round the party horn. Trim excess, bend the open end up a little as shown in photo above. Let dry.You need: New Year's/birthday Party Horn (dollar store,Brown Craft Paper, White Glue, Rubber Stamps and Ink Pads or Paint and Brushes, Glitter ,Scissors
* also see trumpet ideas for Gideon (Lesson 1-10)
- You can use the trumpet crafts to march around a table and sing any/all of these songs.
*Here We Go Round the Jericho Wall* (Tune: Mulberry Bush) Here we go round the Jericho wall Jericho wall, Jericho wall Here we go round the Jericho wall Early in the morning 2. This is the way we blow our horns 3. This is the way we quietly walk 4. This is the way we shout really loud 5. This is the way the walls fall down
- March ,March Around Jericho* (Tune: Row, Row, Row your Boat) March, march quietly Around Jericho Once a day for six straight days Only trumpets blow. March, march seven times On the seventh day When long trumpets blow, let yourself go And shout the walls away.
- Jericho's Wall Came Falling Down(to the Tune of "London Bridge is Falling Down") Joshua got a plan from God, plan from God, plan from God. Joshua got a plan from God, Hallelujah! Israel marched around the wall, 'round the wall, 'round the wall. Israel marched around the wall, Hallelujah! Seven priests blew seven horns, seven horns, seven horns. Seven priests blew seven horns, Hallelujah! All of Israel gave a shout, gave a shout, gave a shout. All of Israel gave a shout, Hallelujah! Jericho's walls came falling down, falling down, falling down. Jericho's walls came falling down, Hallelujah! Rahab saved her family, family, family. Rahab saved her family, Hallelujah!
9) Going Home: Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
(sung to the tune of The More we Get Together,
just like the opening song)
We love to learn together,
We love to learn together
And give thanks to God.
Also can be sung with: “sing” or “pray” or “work”
10) Optional Coloring Pages