2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child.
(sing to the tune of “The More we get together”
Thank you God for (name)
For (name), for (name)
Thank you God for (name)
We’re glad (s) he is here!
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God works among his covenant people to prepare the world for the Savior. Hebrews 12:1&2 “Therefore, since we are surrounded
by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us… look to Jesus.” Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows how God works through Moses. God saved Moses from the anger of the Pharaoh when he was a small baby. Even though Moses thought he could NOT lead God’s people to the promised land, God uses Moses’s weaknesses to show God’s strength!
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about Moses, focussing on his calling. Read pages 80-85 from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Exodus 3:14b
- The Burning Bush (fingerpaint)... Print out a picture of Moses and the burning bush. Have the kids color Moses with crayons (not markers). Then, give every two children a small lid with some fingerpaint- a bit of red and a bit of yellow. Show them the bush in the picture and have them paint the red and yellow on the bush to make fire.
- The Burning Bush (tissue paper)... Print out a picture of Moses and the burning bush. Have the kids color Moses with crayons (not markers). Then, give each child a variety of thin strips of tissue paper in red and yellow (and orange if you like, although wherever the red and yellow overlap, if will appear orange) and have them glue them on the burning bush. This is best done with white glue in cups with a q-tip as a bit of moisture will allow the colors in the tissue paper to bleed a little. (photo coming soon)
8) Closing Prayer... say the Lord's prayer together with the children
9) Going Home: Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
(sung to the tune of The More we Get Together,
just like the opening song)
We love to learn together,
We love to learn together
And give thanks to God.
Also can be sung with: “sing” or “pray” or “work”
10) Optional Coloring Pages:
Lots of nice picture relating to Moses's life can be found here: