2) Songs: Start the Story Hour with the learning our names song. Go around the circle or table and introduce each child.
Here is a cute song about prayer: (sung to the tune of "Jesus Loves Me")
Jesus taught us how to pray
to God our Father every day
Morning, noon and night-time too
We can pray and so can you!
Yes, we can pray; yes, we can pray; yes, we can pray;
to God throughout the day.
3) Prayer.... Thank God the he always listens to our prayers.
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God sends his greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Saviour. John 1:14 “we beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father”
Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows the glory of God through the teachings of Jesus. Jesus taught his people many things during his ministry.. also about how to pray to God.
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is about the teachings of Jesus. Read page 297 (the Lord’s prayer) from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is:
- The Lord’s Prayer Mini-book: copy and cut the pages for the Lord’s prayer mini-book…enough for each child. Have them color and assemble. Staple along the left side. You may make a full sized version to read with the class, too! http://www.dltk-teach.com/minibooks/prayer/index.htm
- (Note - this version uses "thee" and "thou". If you photocopy, rather than print, you could use the pictures from this mini-book and type out an updated version of the prayer)
- Praying hands… make copies of the praying hands template and cut out before class. Put tape onto the back of the cut out hands and tape in the center of a sheet of white paper. With a large paint brush, have the child paint the whole paper. When dry, remove the hands template to reveal the white praying hands underneath.
9) Going Home: . Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages:
Lots of great coloring pages about prayer: http://www.teachustopray.com/
Boy praying: http://www.sermons4kids.com/god_hears_prayers_colorpg.htm
Girl needing to pray: http://www.sermons4kids.com/when_i_am_sorry_colorpg.htm