- Activity: Pretend to be a seed. What does a seed need to grow into a flower?
Add sunshine, water and good soil. Pretend to grow up nice and strong. Now let’s talk about you and me… what do we need to grow strong in the Lord? Add moms and dads, lots of love and hugs, reading the bible, praying to God, singing songs to God, going to church, and the Holy Spirit in our hearts. What else can you think of?
- Flannel board... set out as many pictures of children as you can find. Ask the children: what do children need to grow?
- Toys... set out figures of children. Same thing
- Puppets... set out puppets of children. Same thing.
3) Prayer... ask God to help the little children grow in the Lord - taller and wiser!
4) Theme: Remind the children of the theme of the unit: God sends his greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Saviour. John 1:14 “we beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father”
Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible Story again today that shows the glory of God revealed to Simeon and Anna when they see the baby Jesus in the temple in Jerusalem. Also, we see how Jesus amazed the teachers at the temple when he was still a young boy.
5) Bible Story: Today’s Story is "Jesus is Blessed" and "Young Jesus in the Temple". Read pages 258-260 (R263-265) and 268-272 (R273-277) from the Read and Learn Bible (Scholastic).
6) Text: Today’s Text is: “And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men.” Luke 2:52
- Muffin Flower Craft… have children decorate two muffin cup liners with crayons or markers. Cut one to make petals. Glue the flowers at the ends of the stems in the flower pot (solid first, then “petals” on top) and put a colorful sticker in the center of the flower. Children can make as many or as few as they like.
- Paint Flower Craft… see template with pot and stems with centers. Give children sponges cut into the shape of petals and held with a clothes pin. Provide bright flower colors for dipping paint. Allow children to sponge-paint the petals onto the flowers in the pot.
- Cut out Flower Craft… see template with pot and stems only. Provide children with flower petals and leaves cut out of colorful paper and allow them to glue the parts together to make three beautiful flowers.
- Grow a Plant… this idea can be combined with another craft as it does not take much time. Write each child’s name on a ziplock bag with a permanent marker. Wet two paper towels and fold them so that they fit in the bag. Kids love to help do this with a spray bottle on a plastic tray. Tuck 2-4 bean seeds in the paper towels. Put the towels and seeds in the plastic bag and seal almost all the way. Use masking tape to hang on a sunny window. You will see the plant begin to grow inside the bag and then out the opening. If you can get permission, hang these growing plants on a sunny window at church and plant them in Styrofoam cups after they are well spouted. If sending home, make sure to include instructions for the parents.
8) Closing Prayer... say the Lord's Prayer together with the children
9) Going Home: Sing the closing together. Then, check to see if all the children have collected their crafts and coloring sheets before they go home. Say goodbye and tell them that you enjoyed learning about God together and were happy to have them today! You were, weren’t you?
10) Optional Coloring Pages: